(1) Dear Auntie,
I like a guy at my school and he seems to like me, too. We do a lot of things together. Unfortunately, whenever we go somewhere, he doesn’t have much money so I have to pay for his Starbucks or McDonald’s. He said his parents don’t give him much of an allowance. I don’t mean to complain, but I don’t get much allowance, either. How can I get him to pay his fair share? – Poor in Pendik
Dear poor,
You cannot always depend on a guy to paying for you, but I do understand you've been struggling to pay for him every single time. You must realize that Starbucks and McDonald's are not the only places to have fun. How about a picnic at the park or a walk on the sahil? This way, you will not have to pay so much money for a cup of coffee and unhealthy junk food. Most importantly, you must have confidence to just talk to him about it. If he really likes you, he will understand and try to avoid expensive places and spend more quality time elsewhere with you.
6) Dear Auntie,
I have a friend, “Matilda,” who is very concerned about her weight. She is very thin, but she’s always saying she’s fat. She never eats lunch and she wears big, baggy clothing so we can’t really see what she looks like. I think she is anorexic, but when I said that to her, she reacted angrily and told me to mind my own business. What do you think I should do? – Anxious in Antalya
Dear Anxious,
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and I admire your willingness to help her. However, I want to be clear and point out that you should not and cannot help your friend by yourself. You may be able to get things started though. Anorexia is a serious problem that may require help from people with authority and experience. This doesn't mean you should go off and tell someone right this instant, but give her some time and space to think through it. Confront her privately in a quiet place and anticipate that your friend's reaction will not be pleasant. Don't respond with anger and frustration, but show her that you truly care about her. Remember, your goal should be to help you friend accept that there is a problem. Leave the rest to those who can help her whether that be parents or professionals. Urge her to go for help and offer to accompany her
(5) Dear Auntie,
I have a lot of homework every night. At the same time, I want to spend time with my friends, participate in extra-curricular activities, and use Facebook. If I don’t get on Facebook every night, I feel left out. At the same time, I think I’m wasting a lot of time and it is one way I could make better use of my time. What do you suggest? -- Sometimes lonely in Libadiye
Dear S.L
I see having a social life is very important for you, but this is not all that there is to your life. You need to be focused with your school work, because your future depends on it. This doesn't mean you should completely cut off from every aspect of your social life, but rather have a sense of control. Only participate in activities that you must attend and I encourage you to do start on you homework right after you get back from school. Work in a environment where you can concentrate without being distracted. Don't get too comfortable. This way you can finish all your homework in the least amount of time and spend the rest of your day watching a movie, getting on Facebook, or whatever you want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment