Monday, December 29, 2008

SAT essay#2

Changes that are made to make our lives simpler don't necessarily make out lives easier. If so, why else would there be a change in the first place? The main reason why technology is constantly improving is to make the everyday lives of the society more comfortable and enjoyable. From the development of internet, to the improvement of transportation, everything is designed for us to enjoy. It is there to make our lives less complicated and it is.
As an MK (missionary kid), my family has been traveling constantly to various parts of the world. Without airplanes how else would we have traveled? By foot? Nonsense. Think about it. Planes were created as a method of transportation to fly us over a tremendous distance which could take months or perhaps years by foot. Just traveling to my home country Korea from Turkey would take up more that my summer break! Thanks to technology, I can get there in less than a day!
Speaking of summer vacation in Korea, my job at a bookstore is another great example. The bookstore I worked in was not one of those tiny little stores located downtown on a corner street. It was considered one of the largest located inside a well-known mall, COEX, in Seoul. There were probably thousands and thoussands of books coming in and out with a crowd of people storming in to buy the latest released books or get autographs from authors on special events. I worked as a cashier dressed in my bright orange uniform. What made my life easier was the little computer and a scanner right in front of me. When a customer brought a huge pile of books, all I had to do was to scan the bar code, ask them if they had their membership card, tell them the total price, put little stamps on the corner of the book, recieve money and give back the change. The little computer did everything for me. The scanner was there so that I didn't have to type out all the individual bar codes. When I recieved a credit card, all I had to do was swipe it accross the credit card reader. It did all the complicated calculations without me having to pull out my calculator. Life was pretty much trouble-free for me. But it wasn't for the employees. These people had to take in hundreds of orders each day, help find specific books, change prices books in days of discounts. Without their private computers, this would be impossible. Computers were replacements for having to write down every single book code in a huge notebook. This change was created to make our lives simpler and it is!
People who complain about the difficulties arising from a specfic change meant to make this better are simply ignorant of what it would be like without that change. They are just demanding more and more. I believe we should be thankful for changes that are taking place because they make our days pleasurable and will do even in the future!

No comments: